Recipe: Banana Bread
Summary: Every fall when I was growing up, the fair would come to town. You would think living in a beach town would be enough entertainment, but I remember the fair being a huge deal. My mom would bake about ONE GO-ZILLION loaves of banana bread. My sisters and I would go door to door in our neighborhood selling the loaves for “fair money”. Yeah, it was a different era… This is the recipe made famous by my mom, June Morris. Until we took her oven away from her in October of 2009, she was still baking banana bread.
I learned from my friend, Angie Smart, that 3 mashed bananas is equivalent to 1 cup, roughly. If you have mashed bananas in your freezer, I guesstimate that it will take 2.5 - 3 cups for this recipe.
- 8 large, ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 – 1½ cups chopped pecans (the more, the better)
- Blend bananas, eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla with hand mixer.
- Sift dry ingredients together and combine with banana mixture.
- Pour into greased and floured loaf pans, or bundt pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30 – 40 minutes.
- While still warm, it’s insanely good with butter. It’s no mystery why I’m a chubby girl.
[caption id="attachment_313" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Banana Bread Muffins, pictured here with Jamie Savage's Chocolate Chip Cookies"][/caption]