Recipe: Cherry Cheese Tarts
Summary: Puff pastry has become a staple in my kitchen...
- 1 cup fresh, pitted cherries
- ½ cup water or cherry juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon almond flavoring
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Whisk together sugar and flour. Slowly add water or cherry juice and whisk until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Add cherries and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add almond flavoring. Set aside to cool.
- Allow puff pastry to thaw in refrigerator.
- Unfold pastry and cut into 9 equal squares. Place pastry squares in muffin or tart tin.
- Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Drop 1-2 tablespoons of cream cheese mixture into pastry cups. Cover cream cheese with cherry pie filling.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Best served at room temperature.