Recipe: Raspberry Swirls
Summary: December 11 - A Cookie A Day Until Christmas! My friend, Jessica Rhodus shares this recipe. She gives the credit to Ruth Claypool. Thanks, Ruth! These are pretty and festive and delicious!
- ¾ cup raspberry jam
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine jam and nuts, set aside.
- Cream butter, gradually add sugars, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until light.
- Sift dry ingredients together and gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Mix thoroughly, adding more flour as necessary. If too soft, chill for an hour or two.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Roll each part to a rectangle about ¼ inch thick.
- Spread with some of the jam mixture. Roll up jelly-roll fashion. The rolls should be about 1½" in diameter.
- Wrap in waxed paper and chill overnight.
- Cut in 1/4 inch slices and bake on a greased cookie sheet at 400 for 10-12 minutes.
- Cookies should be light brown. Remove from baking sheets immediately.
- Unbaked cookies may be kept in refrigerator for several days.
- Recipe makes about 6 dozen cookies.
A couple notes....
- The jam/cookie dough ratio is important in this recipe. A very thin layer is ideal. Too much jam will make a big jam puddle on your cookie sheet. Ask me how I know this...
- The cookie dough should be refrigerated before rolling out.
- I didn't post a picture of these because mine were too ugly. Google images probably has some nice pictures you can look at.
Microformatting by hRecipe.